Saturday, August 19, 2006

To Be a Prophet For a Day


From my earliest memories from Sunday school I recall being taught that prophets help guide Heavenly Father’s children upon the earth. Recent experiences have reinforced this perspective. Contrary to the local belief, "Lubbock is a breeze of a town to navigate" I proclaim in defense of the non-Lubbuckian That Lubbock is a difficult town to navigate for beginners. Having been here a year, I can see why they hold to such a belief, but having also been a newcomer or an outsider, Lubbock can be very daunting because of the many options for getting from point A to point B.

In the past month or so, I have had the honor of visitations from several different family members. Each and every one of them at some point in time became lost in trying to drive their way through and around town. Now I am not trying to equivocate myself with the noble mantle of a prophet, but my wife and I were able to help these helpless travelers find their way. We employed many different methods, ranging from verbal step by step instructions via cell phones (what a great modern convenience), written instructions, hand drawn maps and personal guides by way of driving in front of, or riding shot-gun.

I do not seek praise or compensation, because anyone else would have done just as much to help a family member reach their destination safely. I could not help but notice that in the same way I did what I could to guide my family, God also continues to guide his children by living prophets all along the way whether it be by radio, satellite, magazine, internet, etc. What a great time to be alive.

No comments: