Sunday, November 27, 2005

"V" is not for Victory



For some, (such as Disney) the sky may be falling, but in my life, the sky is alive and moving. The annual migration of the Canadian goose makes Lubbock, Texas “a must see” on their journey. I have never seen so many geese in my life. I think perhaps the promises of Abraham have fallen upon their seed. For weeks now, the geese have been flying this way and that, to and fro, honking the whole time. Lubbock does have a plethora of ponds and llanos scattered all over the valley, which I’m sure is a big attraction to these water fowl. We have pictures of the pond across the street from where our children go to school that show “standing room only” for the geese. As soon as one flock moves out, another takes their place. I’ve been told that a great number of these honkers like to cut their travel plans short and make Lubbock their winter home. I have yet to decide if this is a cool thing or an annoyance. If it turns out to be an annoyance, I’m sure you’ll hear about it.
(each little speck in the picture is a goose)



(Mission accomplished)

4 comments:

Sister Pottymouth said...

Cool picture, Lyle. How close can you get to the geese? My mom talks about seeing geese on the ranch she grew up on in Wyoming. She says they're huge. Just wondered what you thought.

Lyle said...

Julie,

I see you have a twisted, morbid side. Get close to the geese. Gimme a break. You just can’t wait to read in the headlines, “Student Dies in a Flurry of Feathers.” I’m not that foolish. I’ve seen footage of what those honkers can do to poor, innocent (ok, sometime provoking) people. It’s not pretty!

One of these days, I’ll have to put on my suit of bravery and approach the crazy Canucks with the camera and then post a bigger picture. Wish me luck.

Lyle said...

Whew! I survived as you can see by the added picture to the post. I think that having my two oldest boys (safety in numbers) with me when I approached these monsters is the only thing that saved me.

Sister Pottymouth said...

Awesome! The close-up picture is great! I'm a little disturbed by the idea of you hiding behind your children though. Sounds like you're the one with the "twisted, morbid side."

;-)